CHSAA is conducting another football committee meeting today and the discussion among other items, centers on realignment and conference placement for teams entering the 2018-19 cycle.Â Preliminary classification assignments were announced late last month and if those are approved today, there are at least 18 schools that will change classifications.
Schools that change classifications under the proposed realignment include:
- Bear Creek — drops into 4A
- Vista Peak — climbs into 4A
- Silver Creek — climbs into 4A
- Longmont — climbs into 4A
- Centaurus — climbs into 4A
- George Washington – drops into 3A
- Littleton — drops into 3A
- Sand Creek — drops into 3A
- Falcon — drops into 3A
- Pueblo Centennial — drops into 3A
- Pueblo South — drops into 3A (4A State Champion)
- Woodland Park — drops into 2A
- Rifle — falls into 2A
- Berthoud — falls into 2A
- Bennett — climbs to 2A
- Florence — drops into 1A
- Calhan — request to play down to 8man
- Dolores Huerta — request to play down to 8man
Maybe the biggest changes above involve Pueblo South, Rifle and Bennett.Â Pueblo South won the 4A state championship this year but could drop a division for the next cycle.Â Bennett has made the 1A state semifinals each of the past two years but could be bumped back into Class 2A for the next two seasons.Â Rifle is a perennial power in Class 3A and will become a serious challenger in Class 2A if the Bears change classifications as proposed.
Proposed classifications were posted on Colorado Preps last month and you can see the list here. Â The groups could be made official today.