Big school showdowns, tremendous rivalry games and important contests for RPI points can all be found in the week four football schedule. We’ve narrowed the selections of the top games in each division down to the best five and we’ll preview each in-depth during our weekly classification reports that begin each Tuesday.
Six man football features a state championship rematch between Peetz and Stratton/Liberty on Saturday while in eight man, conference play begins and important matchups can be found between Sargent-Mancos and Simla-Custer County. All four teams are unbeaten on the young season.
In Class 1A, Meeker heads to Limon for a state quarterfinals rematch won by the Badgers last year. Limon is 2-0 after trouncing Crowley County on Saturday while the Cowboys will have had two weeks to prep by the time kickoff arrives Friday night.
Class 2A is where some of the great rivalries begin as Platte Valley meets Eaton, Buena Vista takes on Salida and Kent Denver heads to La Junta. All six of those teams are without a loss going into week four.
In Class 3A, more rivalries are found as Bayfield bumps up a division to meet local competitor Durango and also out west, Palisade entertains Grand Junction Central. Central has already beaten Fruita Monument and Grand Junction so a win on Friday gives them city championship.
The first of many battles for Pueblo bragging rights is set for this week as Pueblo East meets Pueblo West. East is coming off a huge win over Palmer Ridge while the game will mark the first in-city struggle for the new coach at West, Clint Buderus.
Up in the big school ranks, the highly anticipated matchup between Pine Creek and Valor Christian is set. Neither team is coming off a state title in 2017, but each dominated their division over the past decade and become the standard bearers in each. Also on the schedule are “undercards”; Cherry Creek-Pomona and Ralston Valley-Loveland. Each of those four clubs are ranked in the top 10 of either 5A or 4A.
- Cherry Creek (3-0) at Pomona (2-1) – Thursday
- Ralston Valley (3-0) at Loveland (2-0) – Thursday
- Columbine (3-0) at Highlands Ranch (1-2)
- Regis (1-2) at Mullen (2-1)
- Boulder (2-1) at Denver East (2-1) – Saturday
- Pine Creek (3-0) at Valor Christian (3-0)
- Pueblo East (3-0) at Pueblo West (2-1)
- Fruita Monument (1-1) at Chatfield (3-0)
- Golden (2-0) at Standley Lake (1-1)
- Skyline (2-0) at Brighton (2-1)
- Grand Junction Central (2-1) at Palisade (2-0)
- Harrison (2-0) at Pueblo Centennial (2-0)
- Bayfield (3-0) at Durango (1-2)
- Discovery Canyon (3-0) at Holy Family (2-0)
- Thomas Jefferson (2-0) at Fort Morgan (2-0)
- Pagosa Springs (1-2) at Basalt (2-0)
- Buena Vista (2-0) at Salida (3-0)
- Platte Valley (3-0) at Eaton (2-0)
- Kent Denver (2-0) at La Junta (3-0)
- Cedaredge (1-1) at Aspen (1-1)
- Platte Canyon (1-1) at Colorado Springs Christian (1-1) – Thursday
- Wray (1-1) at Cornerstone Christian (1-1)
- Crowley County (2-1) at Yuma (1-1)
- Clear Creek (1-1) at Peyton (2-0)
- Meeker (1-1) at Limon (2-0)
- Hoehne (1-1) at Springfield (1-2)
- Vail Christian (2-0) at Rangely (3-0)
- Akron (2-1) at Sedgwick County (2-0)
- Sargent (2-0) at Mancos (2-0) – Saturday
- Simla (2-0) at Custer County (2-0) – Saturday
- Otis (2-0) at Flagler/Hi Plains (2-0)
- North Park (0-1) at Prairie (1-1)
- Walsh (1-1) at Cheyenne Wells (2-0)
- Briggsdale (1-1) at Idalia (1-1)
- Peetz (1-1) at Stratton/Liberty (2-0) – Saturday